Job DescriptionGo to end ⇓
• Title: Engineer In Training Program
• Location: Nationwide (you need to live within 50 miles of a major airport); During the classroom phase of the program, you will be provided a housing stipend for extended stay/Airbnb style housing in Orlando, FL (usually these phases are around 6 weeks in length)
• Shift: N/A
• Compensation: First Year Compensation = $80k – 95k
o Total First Year Compensation (after training) = $110k – 130k
o plus, daily per diem (while traveling), plus All Travel Rewards (all hotel and flight rewards)
• Benefits: Company offers an excellent global benefits package Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee Assistance Program, Mental Health, Substance Abuse, Flexible Spending Accounts, Life Insurances, Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance, 401K Savings Plan with matching contribution, Financial Planning Tools, Training and Education, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, Holidays, Flex Schedules, Business Casual Dress, Employee Discount Program, and Volunteer Opportunities. Specific benefits for this position include:
o 4 weeks of paid vacation (PTO) to start, with 5 paid floater holidays pro-rated for the first year and 6 paid standard holidays. At the start of your third year, you get a 5th week of vacation.
o 100% match of 401K contribution, up to 6% (20% vesting of the matched amount each year).
o There are other perks like “be well” reimbursement of $300/year for health/fitness classes and related items.
o Perks: All Travel Rewards (Hotels & Flights), 4 months off a year, plus 20 days of PTO earned per year!
• Travel: Travel is an essential job requirement for this position. You must be open to 80 – 100% travel your first year, and then heavy travel 8 months of the year as a Seasonal Field Engineer at the conclusion of the program.
• COVID Vaccination: Not required.
• Perks: All Travel Rewards (Hotels & Flights), 4 months off a year, plus 20 days of PTO earned per year!
• Key Dates: Interviews are being held in Orlando, FL the week of April 17. You should expect to be in Orlando one night (all expenses paid) for a program briefing and series of interviews. They will make hiring decisions quickly thereafter. There are options for interviewing candidates with major conflicts with these interview dates at an alternate date, so don’t let that be a reason to not be interested in this excellent opportunity! The training program will start in June.
This program is the entry point to the company’s world-class field service organization. Their Field Service Engineers travel to power plants across the U.S. and are responsible for the maintenance and upgrades to some of the largest and most powerful electrical generation machinery in the world including gas turbines, steam turbines and generators.
• During your first 12 months, you will complete classroom and lab training in Orlando and participate in on-the-job training with experienced engineers, working at multiple customer sites across the US.
• You will work directly with leading staff of field service engineers to develop skills that include equipment operation, maintenance, job site safety, project management, leadership, and company’s business systems
• Once you complete training, as a Field Service Engineer, you'll be supervising technicians and mechanics working on turbine generator equipment during power plant maintenance shutdowns (outages), both planned and unplanned system outages which can occur due to equipment performance issues.
• You'll be responsible for disassembling, inspecting, and reassembling turbines and generators
• You'll coordinate the upgrading of mechanical and electrical systems on turbine generators to increase power output and efficiency
• You will collaborate with the company worldwide engineering staff to perform niche mechanical and electrical testing
• You will serve as the primary customer contact during outages and ensure repairs are made in a timely and accurate manner
• While deployed, you will work extended working hours of up to 12-14 hours per day including weekends/holidays.
• As a Field Service Engineer, you will have 4 months off a year (December, January, June, and July)
“Our expectations: As an innovative company we are looking for committed, creative people who are able to find and successfully implement new solutions.”
• Why are you interested in working for the company and particularly this Field Service Engineer position?
• Think about a time you had to fix something that was broken. What was your process to repair this? What steps did you take to resolve the issue? Please be as specific as possible.
• Tell us about a time you had to explain a complex technical problem to someone. What steps did you take to help them understand and correct the problem?
• Tell us about a time you have faced a challenge and overcame it.
• Tell us about your most successful professional project.
• Tell us about a time you had to fix a mechanical problem. How did you fix it? If you have worked with power generation equipment, please give us an example of this experience.
• Tell us about a time you have worked on a team that has not agreed on an approach to something. How did you resolve this disagreement?
• Describe your leadership experience. What is the largest team you have led?
• Company is looking for heavy maintenance experienced professionals with strong leadership abilities
• Excellent communication skills
• Bachelors Degree preferred. Associates Degree is helpful.
• Ideal profile candidate is military Veteran EM / MM / Industrial ET, rank E5 – E6, with some college education.