Position Description: Field Service Engineer (FSE)
Company is looking for a Field Service Engineer (FSE) with a unique combination of technical and personal, customer service skills. This position directly supports company products at customer sites.
This role is critical to providing unparalleled service and driving the loyalty of customers to the company brand promise. The successful applicant will thrive acting independently and traveling extensively across the assigned territory. The FSE performs product and applications support activities for the purpose of maintaining equipment and ensuring customer satisfaction. This role requires someone who is comfortable working in industrial or food and beverage processing environments (milk, meat, grain, flour, wine, etc.). The FSE applies knowledge of electronics and mechanical principles in determining equipment malfunctions and restoring equipment to operation. Approximately 70% of your work will be planned and predictive maintenance (replacing rollers / belts, basic electronics, etc.), and the rest will be equipment installations and /or emergency repairs. Beyond trouble-shooting abilities, Field Service Engineers are true partners to customers and ambassadors of company brand promise. This role is designed for a self-motivated team player driven by a desire to be a world class service engineer who shares company’ vision to provide its customers with consistently valuable experiences by applying and leveraging your vast technical knowledge and going the extra mile for our customers. Some specific responsibilities include). Key responsibilities include:
• Install, maintain, and repair analytical instruments at customer sites and other locations.
• Train users in software applications and correct equipment operation and maintenance.
• Provide phone support to customers and recommend action to be taken – order parts, service visit, etc.
• Ensure a high level of customer satisfaction by monitoring assigned support activities and maintaining an appropriate level of communication with supervisor and support coordinator.
• Maintain accurate accounts of services performed and submit activity and expense reports using designated resources according to company and department policy and procedures.
• Update scheduling application and keep supervisor informed of activities.
• Ensure timely consumption, disposition, or return of service parts and manage other assets according to company and department policy and procedures.
• Keep abreast of product and policy information through frequent review of company intranet and website portal.
• Attend service meetings and training sessions
Company is still the undisputed king of their industry, and they have come off multiple consecutive years of revenue growth, and their Field Service Engineers tend to stick around for decades. They exceeded their budget on their vast product lines by about 250% last year and are growing. They continue to expand and have a bunch to install along with the subsequent maintenance contracts and repairs to be serviced.
Locations / Openings / Territory: Home-based opening anywhere in the greater La Crosse, WI or Rochester, MI areas. Must be within 30 minutes of La Crosse, WI. Territory includes primary state and typically 1-2 surrounding states.
Travel: There is a decent amount of travel associated with this job, as you will regularly be visiting and working at Customer sites in the region (primarily within several hours of your home base location), but you will be responsible for building your own travel / service schedule. The work week is Monday through Friday normal hours with weekends off. You can expect to be gone overnight during the work week (the exception being when you are servicing customers near your home.
Compensation: Target base salary ~$70K - $75K for candidates with very minimal to no field service experience to ~$75K - $90K for experienced/senior field service candidates + a variable compensation package of $16K+ annually, paid out quarterly. You will also receive a company car with unlimited personal mileage.
Requirements: The best candidates for this position will industry or field service experienced candidates. Transitioning active duty or military veteran technicians with outstanding troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair skills with electronic, electrical and / or mechanical systems are also a fit, such as ETs/ATs/FCs with mechanical ability. You must demonstrate very professional, polished customer service skills (technical problem solver, empathetic listening skills, outgoing personality, etc.), always have a positive outlook and demonstrate a keen ability for learning new technologies. Other desired skills include:
• Ability to use all types of hand tools and digital test equipment
• Knowledge of mechanics, electronics, distribution systems and conveyor systems
• Working knowledge of Windows Operating Systems and the ability to read blueprints and schematics
• Self-motivated for high performance
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Customer focused and detail oriented
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment and meeting tight time constraints
• Clean driving record (no major violations last 2 years, no DUI last 5 years)
• Experience working on X-ray machines or automation controls is highly desirable
• Experience working on Biomed Equipment, especially medical pumps, as a Biomed Tech is highly desirable
Essential knowledge, skills, and abilities including problem solving, interpersonal skills, verbal & written communication, planning & organizing, quality, adaptability, dependability, safety & security, and normal computer/networking skills.
Benefits: Company offers excellent Medical / Dental Insurance; STD/LTD/ADD; 401k (8% match!); profit sharing; two weeks paid vacation per year; reimbursed expenses for business travel; laptop computer, cell phone, and tools; 401K and retirement plan; and a company car.
Keys to Success: Show company you are an outstanding, experienced electronic and electro-mechanical troubleshooter who has a hands-on approach & gets the job done right in an efficient manner. Bring out specific examples of your troubleshooting experience, both system & component level, in the military. Be able to explain how you successfully defined, identified, and fixed a system, equipment, or component problem. Be sure to clearly communicate using the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result) of the work you have performed to highlight your performance and set yourself apart from your peers. Be prepared for interview questions that will assess your technical knowledge, understanding, and experience directly working on military or other complex electronic and electro-mechanical systems. Show you can “stand on your own feet” as a technician, work independently, & perform the job on your own to customer satisfaction. Ask insightful questions & show you’re excited about the company & this position!