Job DescriptionGo to end ⇓
Orion Talent, the nation’s largest military recruiting firm, is currently recruiting transitioning or former military professionals for Application Engineer positions with a company that provides industry-leading products and services to the electric utility, broadband, communications, OEM, enterprise, wireless, and transit rail markets as well as the emerging markets of oil and gas, mining, nuclear, avionics, medical, renewable, and intelligent grid. The company's diverse product portfolio includes fiber optic cable, transmission and substation accessories, outside plant equipment, connectors, fusion splicers, test equipment, and training. Our client’s service portfolio includes market-leading positions with the foremost communications companies supporting inside plant central office, EF&I, outside plant, enterprise, and wireless areas.
As an Applications Engineer (AE), your role is to bridge a customer’s needs and desires with the appropriate company products and solutions. AEs work directly with customers and end users to understand their network requirements. The primary focus will be on overhead fiber optic cables including Optical Ground Wire (OPGW) and All-Dielectric Self-Supporting (ADSS) with a focus on the full end-to-end fiber optic solution utilizing the company’s vast array of products. Additional responsibilities will include:
• Act as the technical contact who works alongside the sales team to jointly achieve the commercials objectives for different regions of the world (North America, South America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Russia, and South Asia).
• Review customer specifications and determine the optimum fiber optic cable design using the company’s in-house software and costing models.
• Interpret customer specifications compared with industry standards and the company’s internal capability.
• Document point-by-point reviews and responses to customer specifications detailing variances and highlighting the company’s capabilities.
• Using software such as Sag10 or PLS-Cadd to ensure the optical cables will meet customer sag/tension/structural limits.
• Generate sag/tension tables, stringing tables, conduct clash analysis for conductors, etc.
• Generate the commercial as well as technical details for each quotation including pricing and terms/conditions.
• Provide technical support to customers including product selection guidance, cable, and hardware installation instructions and troubleshooting, hardware drawings, cable prep and splicing support, etc.
• Aid sales by having in-depth knowledge of competitors’ offerings in order to best position the company technically and commercially with customers.
• Conduct frequent product presentations and specific technical discussions with key customers, which will require occasional travel to meet with customers at their location and/or in the field.
• Provide feedback to Internal Process Engineering Group on specific process and manufacturing issues with customer orders when necessary.
• Assist with on-site customer visits and inspections by hosting inspectors, writing reports, resolving open issues, etc.
• Develop and write application notes and practices of “system solutions”.
• Promote the company’s industry leadership by publishing trade articles.
• Adhere to and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of the company.
Location: Duncan, SC - Greenville/Spartanburg area
Salary: $75K target base salary. More experienced candidates may qualify for higher pay.
Shift: Primarily M-F 1st Shift
Benefits: Our client’s benefits are designed to attract and retain valuable associates by providing coverage for healthcare and support during periods of crisis, such as illness or disability. Associates are eligible for coverage on the first day of the month following employment. The company offers a full range of health and welfare benefits including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life, accidental death and dismemberment, and flexible spending accounts (health and dependent care). Benefits are offered at four different coverage tiers including associate only, associate plus spouse, associate plus children and family.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
• “Find a way” mentality.
• Project management skills.
• Excellent communication skills – technical writing, commercial writing and presentation skills.
• Computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
• Mechanical aptitude.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Multi-tasking capabilities. Able to change gears quickly and handle multiple high priorities.
• Strong analytical capabilities.
• Good organization and time management skills.
• Willingness to travel up to 25%.
• Fluent in Spanish a plus (support customers in Latin and South America).