Title: Director of Manufacturing Engineering (North America)
Location: Hialeah, FL. This position is based in FL and leads teams based in FL and NYC.
Schedule: M-F Days – eventual Hybrid work schedule with 2-3 days/week in office.
Compensation: $137,700-$206,500 base salary, depending on experience, plus STIP and LTIP Bonus
Benefits: Comprehensive corporate benefits includes Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability Insurance, Flexible Spending Plans, 401(k) after 60 days of service with 50% company match on first 8% after 1 year of service, Profit Sharing Plan after 1 year of service, PTO and Paid Holidays.
Travel: Routine travel, approximately 30%, to spend time with team in NYC.
Vaccine Requirement: No corporate vaccination policy.
Reporting to the VP of Operations for North America, the Director of Manufacturing Engineering is responsible for the strategic planning, direction, and coordination of the manufacturing processes to ensure the efficient facilitation of manufacturing operations through optimized product and process design. With the primary goals to develop/improve the Manufacturing Engineering strategy to support R&D and Continuous Improvement, and reorganize and streamline the Manufacturing Engineering organization, the Director of Manufacturing Engineering leads a team of 20-25 employees in Process Engineering, NPI (Design for Manufacturing) and Manufacturing Test Fixtures (Design for Test). Collaborate with Design Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality and CI teams to develop and implement plans that support NPI transitions to manufacturing, continuous improvement, cost reduction, and volume requirements through the entire Product Life Cycle, while being able to identify and solve for process, material, and technology gaps for all North America manufacturing.
• Organize and lead the work of the Manufacturing Process Engineering (MPE) and Machine Automation Engineering (MAED) teams
• Determine necessary skillset, define objectives, set expectations, and track productivity for members
• Provide technical vision and direction to ensure the development team is aligned with company strategy
• Partner with other leadership to set and assess priorities across teams – prepare and present recommendations to Sr Leadership, including project deliverables, approach, cost, and potential roadblocks
• Create timelines and objectives for project deliverables, keeping projects focused on manageable for quality, on-time delivery for multiple projects simultaneously
• Determine cost effectiveness and feasibility of manufacturing processes, making and implementing recommendations to reduce costs and improve efficiencies
• Determine the appropriate manufacturing location, process, and potential new equipment needs for all product development initiatives
• Manage annual approved capital budgets for on-time completion of prioritized projects
• Manage annual productivity budget to meet/exceed annual operating plan (AOP)
• Ensure transferability of industrial activities by using standard processes
• Identify gaps in processes and equipment capabilities, conduct analyses on cost, WIP, and lead times to develop improvement strategies
• Ensure each manufacturing location is appropriately staffed with Manufacturing Engineering Support
• Oversee all major non-capital projects, such as capacity increases, insource/outsource plans, and product moves within factories
• Provide managerial leadership to a dynamic team of production engineers to facilitate NPI
• Develop precision, robust assembly fixtures and tooling for new product assembly for the prototype and production phase
• Manage rigorous documentation during the design effort and lead and participate in design review meetings
• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Industrial Management, or similar field; Master’s Degree preferred
• Minimum 8 years of experience in electronics (electromechanical) manufacturing, mechanical engineering, mechanical design, manufacturing engineering or related field, working with the design, integration, and manufacturing of RF and Microwave electronic components and assemblies (RFE, RFC, LTCC)
• Minimum of 5 years in a management role
• Experience with mechanical reliability testing and related equipment
• In-depth knowledge of various available assembly processes/technologies such as surface mount, high frequency assemblies, die and wire attach, and encapsulation
• Knowledge of industry standards, PCB technologies, plating processes, adhesive/encapsulant material, and solder material
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD/Solidworks
• In-depth knowledge of statistical process control and problem-solving techniques
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Products
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to work effectively as part of a cross-functional team and communicate project status and issues clearly to all organizations
• Familiar with integrating PLCs into mechanical assemblies to create automated production devices is a plus
• Experience in semiconductor assembly and packaging is a plus
Our client is a leading designer and manufacturer of integrated circuits, modules, and sub-systems for high performance radio frequency (RF) and microwave applications. Their products are used in a wide range of wired and wireless communications, detection, measurement and imaging applications, including military communication, guidance and electronic countermeasure systems, commercial, scientific, military land, sea and aircraft, automotive systems, medical systems, and industrial test equipment.
Why this opportunity?:
Our client has a reputation for quality and a very loyal customer base. They are experiencing steady growth with an emphasis on New Product Introduction, continuous improvement and customer service. Over the past few years, they have been transforming their organization to best service their clients and this growth, to include the expansion of their Hialeah, FL production operation. They have a strong entrepreneurial culture, with an emphasis on communication and collaboration, and they reward their employees for individual and team success.
This position is open due to the retirement of the VP of Manufacturing Engineering, who was with the company for 20 years. They are looking for a strategic, results-driven leader who can drive the Manufacturing Engineering organization and strategy (processes, systems, technology), and ensure seamless transitions from NPI to production while fostering a culture of continuous improvement, collaboration, and accountability. Beyond experience, if you have the character, integrity and entrepreneurial spirit to anticipate needs/problems and proactively drive solutions, and are looking for a rewarding long-term career, you can make a direct positive impact in this role! Next steps from this role can include Global responsibility and promotion to Vice President.