DescriptionGo to end ⇓
Title: R&D Manager
Location: Portland, OR
Schedule: M-F Days
Compensation: $90k-$130k base salary, depending on experience
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), short/long-term disability, flexible spending/health savings accounts, PTO plus 8 paid Holidays, and other voluntary life benefits. After one full year, Molecular employees become eligible to participate in their profit-sharing plan.
Vaccine Requirement: No COVID vaccination policy. Hep B Vaccination provided at no cost.
As one of two R&D Managers on the team, this role leads, trains and mentors a team of 6 R&D researchers working on research projects specifically in the development of qPCR, ELISA and autoanalyzer assays relevant to clinical diagnostic tests. This role will oversee establishing timelines, allocating resources, and supporting the R&D team in alignment with the priorities set by the R&D Director.
• Serve as the point person for your teams’ projects, including ensuring project progress, organizing/maintaining paperwork for research projects, assisting researchers with writing and proofreading of summaries, proposals, and SOPs.
• Communicate with external collaborators or clients and support scientific discussions.
• Maintain inventories, approve supply orders, monitor freezers and instrument maintenance logs
• Initiate, direct, and execute scientific research & development that is critical to corporate strategies
• Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, projects, and problems
• Report to the Director of R&D regularly to update the project results and meet timelines
• Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theory. Make major contributions to scientific literature and conferences
• May act as spokesperson on corporate research and development
• May be responsible for management and professional development of research groups, as well as the production teams, interfacing with various departments
• Projects require expert and extensive knowledge of advanced principles, theories, and concepts in areas of expertise. Contribute to the development of principles and concepts new to the field
• Serve as organization consultant and spokesperson on specialized projects or programs
• Advise top management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications
• Interact with other sections/divisions and support on routine matters (Clinical sample testing)
• PhD in a scientific discipline, with at least 3+ years’ experience in CAP/CLIA lab or clinical research experience OR Master’s degree with 5+ years’ experience OR Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years’ experience in CAP/CLIA lab or clinical research experience required
• Minimum of 2 years in a management role – experience leading, mentoring, developing a team
• Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts required
• Regulatory affairs experience (CAP and CLIA) and/or FDA experience
• Ability to work as part of a team in a highly collaborative environment, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both verbal and written communications
• Capability to develop specific goals and plans to follow the priority assigned, and ability to adapt to constantly changing environment and work under tight deadlines
• Experience in a minimum of 9 of the following areas required:
o General clinical chemistry (hematology and biochemistry diagnostic tests) – MUST HAVE
o ISO regulation/requirements (e.g. ISO17025)
o Immunoassay (ELISA/EIA)
o Western blot
o Solid phase extraction
o DNA extraction and Sterile technique
o RT-PCR and Proficient with pipetting low volumes (<3 µL) – MUST HAVE PCR KNOWLEDGE
o Robotics/automated high throughput system for molecular assay and/or EIA assay
o Data analysis
o CAP/CLIA regulatory requirements
• Must have 5 years of lab experience with BSL-2 materials
• Strong knowledge of general data analysis, statistics, and statistical process control
• Experience in research techniques in molecular, protein chemistry, LC-MS/MS, or others
• Knowledge of biological analysis, quantitative and qualitative analysis, tabulation of data, equipment calibration, and standard laboratory equipment
• Strong computer literacy, particularly in MS Office
• Knowledge of genetic data analysis software (sequencing, alignment, and/or NGS library) is a plus
Our client is a unique and innovative company in the Dry Blood Spot testing and Self-Collect diagnostic space, that has combined the functions of technology, logistics, research & development, and diagnostics to support the strategies of its customers. They specialize in high-complexity molecular testing with an extensive portfolio of services including infectious disease, toxicology, targeted sequencing, single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) genotyping, Next- Generation Sequencing (NGS), high-resolution immune profiling, and cutting-edge environmental testing.
Their Mission is to open access to medical testing techniques where geographic, financial, and stigma barriers once created gaps in the healthcare industry.
Why this opportunity?
This is a tremendous opportunity for an experienced Research professional with proven management experience to step up in their career and join an exciting, innovative and growing company and make a big impact with ongoing and future product development. Projects include the development of new assays and process improvements and enhancements to existing assays. The company has a very robust R&D pipeline.
This is a collaborative team with a fun work environment and a noble mission. They are a unique, fast-paced and growing company that is developing cutting edge technology and improving our healthcare system as a whole.
As well, there is considerable opportunity for professional growth. You will enjoy autonomy in your work while having the support and camaraderie of a cohesive team that is focused on an important mission.