Whether it be a screening or selection interview, by phone or in person, the candidate experience throughout the process is paramount. Here are six tips to keep in mind when locking in talent, plus bonus video tips from Orion Business Development Director, Dave Lehmkuhl:
1. Most transitioning military personnel have never had to interview for a position. In the military, natural career progression and a demonstrated record of performance have dictated the particular jobs they secured. A different approach is often warranted, possibly including a military veteran in the interview process, as well.
2. Have a military veteran from within your company be part of the interview. No one can better understand and translate the experience of a military candidate than a fellow veteran. Leverage their expertise and have them actively participate and provide feedback.
3. Use your on-site or second interview to go in-depth. The second interview is your chance to closely evaluate a candidate's abilities and interpersonal skills. Look for the candidate that distinguishes himself from the other candidates and comes prepared to close the interview.
4. Shorten the interview schedule. The average interview process is 22 days. At Orion, however, we strive to cut that down to two weeks. You should communicate a clear timeline to the candidate, so they know what to expect. Too long of an interview process can lead to the loss of quality talent.
5. Keep your candidates updated. Keep your candidates updated. Regardless of whether or not they are moving on in the process, they should be notified. Our recruiters suggest a three-pronged approach: call, text, and email.
6. Set your final interview date in advance. Prior to interviews, go ahead and schedule a time for final interviews. This way, when that star candidate comes through, you can lock down a final interview right then and there.
Interview techniques aren't just useful for candidates. Employers who remember these six tips will have better interview-to-hire ratio and attract higher quality candidates. Contact us to gain access to a strong pipeline of military talent you can interview for your open positions.
Learn more about our Talent Solutions!