Employer Resources for Hiring Military Veterans
Setting up a Military Hiring Program is a valuable undertaking, although it can be difficult to know where to turn when faced with the question of how to hire military veterans. Hiring Military Veterans is sure to bring unparalleled value to your company in the form of Junior Military Officers, Noncommissioned Officers, and Enlisted Technicians. In order to best match military candidates with your hiring needs, it is important to not only bridge the gap between civilian job descriptions and military resumes but also to be fully aware of the many, many benefits of hiring veterans. To help with this, we have assembled a list of useful resources on how to hire veterans:
- Access qualified veteran resumes and reverse skills translation while showcasing your veteran hiring efforts on the Veteran Employment Center from the Department of Defense, Department of Labor, Office of Personnel Management, Small Business Administration and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Learn more about the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) and links to additional resources.
- Visit America's Heroes At Work, Hiring Veterans: A Step-by-Step Toolkit for Employers from the Department of Labor
- Read the Society of Human Resource Management's Support from Behind the Lines: 10 Steps to Becoming a Military-Ready Employer
- Check out SHRM's Military Employment Resource Page.
- Use O*Net Online to translate military occupation codes to civilian jobs or to translate your open positions into the corresponding military occupation.
Employer Resources from Orion Talent
- Learn about The Difference Between Military Headhunters and Military Recruiters.
- Learn about the variety of ways in which you can hire veterans, including Contingent Fee-Per-Hire Recruiting, Military Talent Programs, and Temp-to-Perm and Contract Staffing Services.
- Download Orion's "Best Practices for Successful Military Talent Programs."
- Read our Hiring Conference FAQs.
- Learn more about our National Distinguished Candidate Conferences.
- Learn more about the Tax Benefits to Hiring Veterans.
- Read our blog for those interested in learning more about the impact veterans have in the civilian workforce: Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet Blog
- Read Orion's monthly newsletter for employers with an interest in hiring veterans, The Sword.
- Join our LinkedIn Group for anyone interested in hiring veterans, Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet.
- Follow us on Twitter: Follow@hirevets