5 Reasons to be Thankful for Veterans in the Civilian Workplace
It’s the time of year when we reflect on all that we have to be thankful for in our personal life. This is also an important part of your professional life. Evaluating what you are thankful for at work helps you fine-tune your goals for the next year. One thing we can all be thankful for professionally is the impact veterans make every day in their civilian jobs.
Who hires veterans today? According to the Orion Talent 2018 Veteran Hiring Survey: Exploring the Bottom-line Value of Hiring Veteran Talent, "Everyone. Across all industries and company sizes, the desire and commitment to employ veteran military talent is ubiquitous…” With this in mind, it’s worthwhile to consider five of the many reasons we should be thankful for the veterans in our civilian workplaces.
1. Veterans possess experience unmatched by their peers. Their civilian counterparts often do not display the same leadership, technical talent, performance under pressure, or work ethic as that learned from the military.
2. Veterans perform well in high-stress situations. They are used to operating on tight schedules with limited resources in dangerous situations.
3. Veterans are graduates of the nation's military academies, top colleges, and leading technical schools. Whether academic or technical, veterans have world-class training, complete with cutting edge methods and theories.
4. Veterans demonstrate advanced leadership skills. Given high levels of responsibility early on, veterans lead through direction, delegation, motivation and inspiration.
5. Veterans work well independently. While excellent teamwork ability may seem like the obvious attribute of veterans, they are also adept at working autonomously, following a set of orders, and improvising, as necessary.
The benefits of hiring veterans are clear. From CEOs to Business Development to Field Techs, veterans help shape the company for which they work. They lead; they innovate; they problem solve; they manage change -- and the civilian business world is no doubt a better place for their contributions.
Check out our 2018 Veteran Hiring Survey: Exploring the Bottom-line Value of Hiring Veteran Talent to learn more about the many reasons companies across America are recruiting veterans.