Position ID: # EB-1047235286
Date Posted: 9/5/2023 8:00:00 AM
Location: Chicago, IL
Salary: $38 - $42
Job DescriptionOrion Talent, the nation’s largest military recruiting firm, is currently recruiting transitioning or former military professionals for Critical Operations Technician positions with a leading provider of digital infrastructure, catering to the needs of the most innovative companies worldwide.
Location: Chicago, IL (Elk Grove Village)
Shift: Will work all shifts on a rotating basis
Benefits: Competitive compensation package with strong benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401K program, flexible spending accounts – even a cell phone subsidy.?
Travel: Less than 5%
As a Critical Operations Technician, you will support the data center. They will execute programs related to Safety, Team, Availability, Communication, and Knowledge. You will handle day-to-day data center operations. Mechanical duties include working on chilled water systems, HVAC systems (such as rooftop units, CRAC/CRAH units), humidification systems, fan wall systems, air-cooled chillers, and central plant operations. Electrical responsibilities involve power distribution from the main switchgear to UPS systems, customer load, and cabinets. Fire Life Safety duties include monitoring wet and pre-action sprinkler systems and associated detection devices. Responsibilities will include:
• Support data center operations, including mechanical, electrical, and safety systems.
• Execute programs for Safety, Team, Availability, Communication, and Knowledge.
• Handle daily data center operations, including mechanical and electrical tasks.
• Ensure a culture of safety across company data centers and monitor facility systems.
• Track operational performance, provide feedback on standards, and optimize efficiency.
• Collaborate on preventive and predictive maintenance scheduling and assist with maintenance database management.
• Coordinate power installations and upgrades, utilizing a CMMS system for facility management.
• Solve problems using established procedures and manage asset and consumable inventory.
• Provide exceptional customer service, including incident escalation, response, and reporting.
• Conduct facility and security tours, addressing issues as needed, and offer mechanical and control expertise.
• Contribute to technical writing for maintenance procedures.
• Be available for on-call duties outside regular hours.
• Undertake additional duties as required by the company. (Note: Job responsibilities may evolve over time.)
• High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor's degree preferred.
• 1-3 years of experience in data centers or similar mission-critical roles.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and other database software.
• Strong multitasking ability and adaptability to handle stress.
• Familiarity with data center electrical and mechanical systems (e.g., UPS, Transformers, Chillers).
• Knowledge of NFPA70e, NFPA72, NFPA25, and fire safety compliance.
• Experience in data center trend analysis and PC-based site monitoring systems.
• Physical requirements: occasional standing, walking, sitting, lifting up to 25 pounds.
• Willingness to work outside regular hours, including weekends, holidays, and on-call support.
• Comfortable in a high-stress, fast-paced environment.
• Preference for candidates with technical military specialties like United States Navy Nuclear Engineering.
• Strong knowledge of mechanical, electrical, fire life safety, and base building systems.