Orion's client is a leading consulting Mechanical/Electrical/Technology engineering firm. They design healthcare, educational, commercial and government facilities. They are one of the premier mechanical, electrical, plumbing, architectural lighting, and information technology firms in the western United States. The firm has been built on a solid foundation of engineering knowledge, and has developed a long-standing and faithful repeat client base in healthcare, higher education, K-12, federal government, municipalities, and private industry. Their depth of experience helps them to engineer value-driven building systems that are optimized for energy efficiency and comfort.
Position Description: Senior Mechanical Designer
Our client is seeking an experienced mechanical engineer and leader, with a minimum of 8 years of experience in the HVAC and/or Plumbing Design field, for their Boise office. The successful candidate will be responsible for being a competent leader, engineer, and manager; responsible for taking a proactive role in managing various office staff, engineers, office procedures, and overall projects. This position will take on a significant and leading role in developing and maintaining a strong client base which brings in new and repeat work. The optimal candidate will possess excellent knowledge of commercial/institutional Building Mechanical Systems and mechanical national codes, standards, and regulations. Knowledge of Revit is required, and applicants should have or be pursuing PE registration.
The Senior Mechanical Designer has QA and technical oversight of mechanical products, and provides office leadership for mechanical design and business development/relationship management. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating mechanical design calculations, equipment review, and documentation, which includes all phases from conceptual/schematic design through construction documents for commercial and institutional facilities. These shall include K-12 Education, Higher Education, Healthcare, Laboratory and Commercial/Industrial buildings with an emphasis on other energy intensive markets. Current project focus is with Healthcare, Laboratory and Public Sector projects.
Location: Boise, ID
Compensation: $120K Base Salary (or more, depending on experience), plus 10-15% Bonus based on company performance.
· Major medical with vision and dental plan 100% paid for the employee and partial for dependents.
· 401(k) Plan, Flex Spending Plan, Health/Fitness Plan.
· Short and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance plan 100% paid for the employee.
· Flex time, 9 hour days Monday through Thursday and half days on Friday.
· Generous paid holidays, monthly company activities, employee longevity awards program.
· Unlimited advancement potential.
· Overall mechanical system planning of new construction and remodel projects.
· Assume overall responsibility for the technical accuracy and quality control of projects under his/her authority, during design and construction.
· Perform involved and detailed design including system approach, equipment selection, mechanical room layout, and interface/coordination with clients, owners and design team members.
· Review and monitor time and hour budgets for overall projects under his/her responsibility and administer those budgets on these projects.
· Develop and maintain strong client relationships, and responsible for mechanical division Client business development and expansion.
· Work directly with clients to suit their budget and prioritize project needs. Is a primary contact and must provide responsive and proactive service to Clients.
· Lead a team of Mechanical Engineers and Drafters.
· Prepare program requirements and basis of design reports
· Represent company/design team at project meetings. Attends project interviews and office meetings.
· Prepare agendas, running design/coordination meetings and providing minutes
· Review and approve shop drawings and product data submittals and respond to RFIs
· Field coordination of installation work; Reviewing and analyzing test results
· Systems coordination, specification writing, CAD/drafting, field work, product research, and responding to client questions
· Managing resources in the development of construction documents
· Serving as a technical resource for others throughout the firm, providing thought leadership and subject matter expertise. Interface with remote offices (CO and WY), participate in general overall company management and office integration.
· Minimum 8 years' mechanical design and construction experience with an Architecture/Engineering firm.
· Well connected in the Boise and/or Spokane and Salt Lake City markets (Architects, Institutional Owners, etc.)
· 4 year Engineering degree – Mechanical Engineer preferred
· Registered as a Professional Engineer – licensed in ID (or able to get licensed in ID)
· MBA and/or PMP a plus
· High level of project management, personnel management, client management and marketing skills.
· Significant and relevant experience in a supervisory role as a Senior Engineer/Project Manager/Associate.
· Working understanding of the standard project delivery models.
· Must be proactive and have excellent time management skills and capable of working independently; Conscientious and flexible, with a strong work ethic and team-player attitude in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to work well under strict deadlines, interface effectively with management, handle multiple requests with an eye for detail and a strong commitment to quality
· Proficient in in Revit, AutoCAD and Microsoft Suite
· Team/department manager experience – strong leadership acumen.
· Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record.
· Background check will be required.
· High level of written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent people skills.
· Great attitude is a MUST.
Why this company?:
They have a strong 60+ year history and are very well established in the Boise market, and continue to grow with complementary offerings in Mechanical, Electrical, Technology/Security and Commissioning. Long term growth and career advancement opportunities are truly unlimited. The company maintains a strong team environment and rewards their people for their performance and results. If you thrive on building and managing strong relationships with architects, engineers and clients, this may be the place for you to take your experience to the next level!