Date Posted: 9/21/2022 1:20:06 PM
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Job Type: Full Time
Salary (USD): $40 - $45
Company Description: Our client is a leading data center company built from the ground up to address the full scale of its clients’ critical infrastructure needs, today and into the future. With unparalleled existing and flexible expansion capacity in the leading availability zones, the company provides the scale and geographic reach that rapidly growing enterprises and hyperscale companies need. Our client is committed to being the data center industry leader in building and delivering flexible critical infrastructure solutions that meet and support the complex requirements of enterprise and hyperscale deployments.
Position Description: Critical Operations Technician
Our client is looking for a Critical Operations Technician (COT) to support a local data center campus. As a
member of the company’s Critical Operations team, the Critical Operations Technician must possess strong
knowledge in maintaining the mechanical, electrical, fire life safety, base building, and other various
internal data center systems. The COT will also be focused on the execution of programs related to
Safety, Team, Availability, Communication, and Knowledge. The COT will be responsible for day to day
operations of the data center.
Mechanical responsibilities will include working on chilled water systems and components, HVAC
systems such as roof top units, CRAC/CRAH units, humidification systems, fan wall systems, air cooled
chillers, and central plant operations.
Electrical responsibilities will include working on electrical/critical power distribution from the
Utility/Generator main switchgear through the UPS systems out to the customer load, UPS, PDU, and
Fire Life Safety responsibilities will include monitoring wet sprinkler systems and pre-action sprinkler
systems as well as their associated detection devices.
• Implement and follow standardized culture of always working safely across all data centers.
• Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems. Areas include:
• Electrical, Mechanical, Building Monitoring and Control.
• Tracking and trending operational characteristics.
• Provide feedback to management on the effectiveness of existing standards and processes
• Work with the Critical Operations Manager to complete an aggressive preventive and predicative maintenance schedule
• Assist with the database management of maintenance discrepancies and work with site management to resolve site issues based on agreed upon priorities.
• Ensure data center operates at maximum operational efficiency, including analyzing existing operating conditions, recommending new technologies, and improving overall efficiency.
• Manage systems to avoid unplanned, customer-impacting outages
• Follow direction from data center management regarding the data floor and back of house mechanical loading capacity thereby ensuring that the cooling system is operating at its highest efficiency
• Coordinate and oversee power installations and upgrades
• Navigate and utilize a CMMS system.
• Use developed procedures to solve problems
• Assist in asset and consumable inventory management.
• Responsible for the tracking and proper labeling of all equipment per established procedures.
• Provide day-to-day exceptional customer service and support.
• Incident escalation, response, and follow-up report writing
• Maintain and complete regular facility and security tours documenting and responding to found issues.
• Provide applied mechanical and integrated control expertise for the entire data center
• Serve in a technical writing capacity in regard to the derivation of procedures for preventative or corrective maintenance activities.
• Job may require taking on on-call duties outside of normal working hours.
• Taking on other duties as required. Job duties, roles, and responsibilities are subject to change over time.
Required Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or greater
• Experience in a data center or other related mission critical operations role.
• Experience working with various Microsoft office applications and other database housing software
Preferred Education and Experience:
• United States Navy Nuclear Engineering
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to handle a multitude of tasks and work well in stressful situations.
• Strong understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment.
• These include, but not limited to: UPS, Transformers, PDU’s, RPP’s, Chillers, CRAH, CRAC, STS, ATS, and Pre-action systems
• Strong knowledge of NFPA70e, NFPA72, NFPA25 and compliance issues as well as building codes in regard to fire life safety.
• Familiarity and experience in data center trending and analysis, with the ability to rapidly learn and use PC based site monitoring systems.
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal staff.
• Ability to coordinate, supervise, and communicate with contractors who perform maintenance in
• the data center.
• Operate hand and machine tools.
• Operate basic electrical tools.
• Must be a team player
• $40 - $45 /hr, depending on experience
• Full benefits
• Bonus opportunities