Orion Talent, the nation’s largest military recruiting firm, is currently recruiting transitioning or former military professionals for Application Engineer positions with a company that specializes in GPS and computer algorithm-controlled tracker arms for utility solar arrays. In the vast majority of future solar array developments on the utility scale level, developers will utilize the ‘Tracker Arm’ Technology in order to maximize the efficiency of their panels throughout the day. Our client specializes in engineering, developing, and installing these tracker arms at large scale solar arrays all over the world. The company is building a team of world class talent and positioning itself for rapid growth within the market and seeking to gain a foothold on the market on a global scale.
As an Application Engineer, you will develop deep expertise in the design, construction, and usage of the company tracker product portfolio. You will work with customers, suppliers, and with internal company organizations to solve field related issues that may arise during construction, commissioning, or operation of the company tracker. You will be responsible for driving continuous improvement of the solar tracker product portfolio enhancing ease of installation, energy production, cost of ownership, and quality. This position requires travel to both suppliers and field construction sites. Responsibilities will include:
• Drive continuous improvement roadmap for solar tracker portfolio
• Resolve customer related issues that may arise during construction, commissioning or operation
• Work with quality team to understand failure mechanisms and drive to root cause
• Responsible for improving product design or manufacturing process to achieve manufacturability by working with supplier and internal cross functional team
• Prepares and coordinates field communications in the form of application notes, change orders, work instructions, etc.
• Set up sub-assembly level BOM, technical drawings and coordinates engineering changes as necessary
• Prepares engineering technical documents for release
• Verify samples according to design requirements
• Provide inputs in improving design, process FMEAs, installation manual
• Performs other tasks assigned by supervisor or department head
Location: Austin, TX
• Junior Level Engineering Candidate: ($70K-$90K) -- Currently transitioning JMO with an engineering degree but has not yet applied that degree directly during military career or in private industry OR a recent engineering student transitioning into the workforce after graduation.
• Experienced Engineering Candidate: ($90K-$120K) – JMO that has put to use their engineering degree while in the military or has applied engineering experience in the private industry after transitioning out of the military.
Travel: Potential for up to 50% travel to solar field locations. Half of the engineers may travel out to client sites 50% of the time and the other half of the engineering department typically remains in Austin and only travels about 15-20% of the time. As the company continues to grow over the next couple of years there could be the occasional opportunity for international travel.
Career Progression: Our client is accumulating talent for accelerated nationwide growth. Right now the team is about 60 people worldwide and by the end of this year they will likely be at 90-100 employees. The company is on track to be a 500-person company and compete on a worldwide scale within the solar sector. If you are looking for an opportunity to get into the construction and solar power industry and to join a company that will have significant upward mobility and international opportunities this is a company to join. You will have the opportunity to grow into more senior construction management roles within as the company continues its growth.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
• Experience in the design and construction of steel beam structure.
• At least 8 years of mechanical design experience.
• Solar Industry experience preferred.
• Skilled in Solidworks/CAD is a plus.
• Proficient in English – written and oral.
• Experience in steel structure and material properties / failure modes.
• Hands-on construction experience and proficiency in using tools is a strong plus.
• Program management experience is a plus.
• Familiar with electronics and wireless communication protocols a plus.
• Strong problem-solving skills, good organization and program management, and the ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
• Talented self-starters with imagination, creativity and passion.
• Original thinkers, possessing the drive to achieve impactful results and have the capacity to assume increasing responsibility in a successful, fast growing, global organization.
• Ideal candidate will have a passion for the renewable energy industry and a desire to be part of a team with goals to change the way the world's energy is produced, distributed, and consumed.