Date Posted: 9/18/2023 1:28:01 PM
City, State: Rockford, IL
Job Type: Full Time
Salary (USD): $28 - $31
Title: Field Service Technician
Location: Rockford, IL
Shift: Day Shift, M-F
Benefits: Car, uniforms, and tools provided, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k match, 16 days of annual PTO + 12 paid holidays
Travel: Local travel of 200-mile radius with possible overnight. Travel to California for Orientation.
Vaccine Requirement: Recommended
The Field Service Engineer is responsible for performing warranty repairs, and the commissioning of SMA utility inverters in the field. Duties include commissioning, troubleshooting, repairing, learning to analyze data, operation and maintenance activity and utility inverter applications. This job requires continually working with high voltage electricity and maintaining excellent customer service activities while in the field at customer sites.
• Commissions, troubleshoots, repairs, and analyzes SMA America’s utility inverters in the field, via email, telephone, and site visits.
• Develops a detailed knowledge of SMA’s utility inverter products, associated SMA accessories, and third-party accessories that are sold by SMA for use with the inverters.
• Required to maintain accurate inventory count of spare parts provided by SMA
• Regularly works with high voltage DC electricity, three phase power, and the relevant software and firmware of the inverters.
• Maintains a high level of customer satisfaction while striving to lower the costs of field service.
• Perform and maintains maintenance activities in accordance with the SMA product maintenance manual on assigned sites with SMA customer contractual obligations.
• Required weekend and or nightwork is possible depending on customer requirements at the site.
• Other duties as may be required or assigned.
• A bachelor’s degree in a technical field is strongly preferred.
• At least 3 years of experience in electrical, electronic and/or network communications are required.
• Prior experience in the solar energy industry is strongly preferred.
• Ability to work nonstandard business hours occasionally to support service customer contracts.
• Knowledge of solar and/or alternative energy markets is preferred.
As a system technology specialist, SMA has been developing and distributing high-quality PV inverters and innovative technology for intelligent energy management for over 30 years. Our technology and service solutions for all photovoltaic applications offer users more efficiency and independence in meeting their energy needs.
At SMA America, we believe in Energy that Changes. Since 1981, SMA has been developing innovative solar technology
with a purpose -- making the installation, operation, and maintenance of photovoltaic power plants simpler, more reliable, safer and more cost effective. In the meantime, we’ve also been collecting awards as a great place to work, providing growth opportunities to our employees, and challenging conventional thought.