Orion Talent, the nation’s largest military recruiting firm, is currently recruiting transitioning or former military professionals for an Operations Technician position.
Position Details: Operations Technician
Location: Stanley, NC
Benefits: Our client offers an excellent benefits package including consumer-driven health plan (full medical/dental/vision); ADD/STD/LTD and life insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts for health care and dependent care; tuition assistance; a matching 401K; supplementary company pension plan; other fringe benefits (product / service discounts, exceptional work-life balance programs, scholarship programs for children, generous vacation / leave policies, etc).
We develop networks that power and heat our cities intelligently. We build next-generation high speed trains, smart energy networks and support NASA in their explorations of outer space. We need people like you! Experience specialists and clever minds who like to get to the bottom of things. Help us tackle the most exciting challenges and put into practice what really matters. So, what are you waiting for? Take your career step with us.
In this hands-on role, you will monitor, operate and maintain all equipment and systems associated with the operation of the facility via a control system in a safe, reliable and efficient manner in full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures. You will inspect equipment for proper lubrication, cooling water, vibration, noise, overheating and overall operational status. Additionally, you will ensure plant compliance to environmental/chemical safety agencies.
• Operates, monitors and maintains all equipment and supporting systems, i.e. HRSG, water treatment, cooling towers, condensate system and all BOP systems.
• Troubleshoots equipment and systems and provides/performs corrective action; operates systems in remote or local control to determine proper operation. Performs failure analysis to determine cause of equipment/system malfunction.
• Lock Out/Tag Out of equipment; verifies failure to start before maintenance is performed. Must be able to qualify in procedures for Lockout/Tagout of equipment and follow same; verifies failure to release energy (Start) before maintenance is performed.
• Performs, or assists, in routine maintenance functions as may be required on all equipment and systems per procedures as necessary: minor repairs, add oil, tighten belts, and perform misc. repairs to maintain plant operational. Assists maintenance as required.
• Assists Lead Operator in the safe and efficient operations of the plant. Aids the Lead Operator in monitoring the plant’s efficiency via the heat rate performance monitoring system.
• Maintains necessary chemical stocks required for acceptable operations. Orders and stores chemicals in compliance with environmental and safety regulations and estimates projected usage and specifications for purchasing.
• Completes all training/qualifications required to be an OMT.
• Responsible for plant housekeeping and heavy equipment operation, maintains plant cleanliness, operates front-end loader and bulldozer as required.
• Forklift operation and Waldon/Bobcat. Completes pre-operation inspection check sheets for rolling equipment.
• Collects and reviews data and prepare reports, including status reports, data sheets, analytical test results, logbook entries, and local/state/federal environmental reporting, concerning the chemical conditions and status of process equipment and systems.
• Completes all applicable record logs (i.e. supporting system equipment rounds, pre-jobs, chemical unloading, check sheets, etc.).
• Participates, as necessary, in the development of new testing procedures which would enhance the generation of important data. Provides technical input for operation and maintenance training programs.
• Provides training (safety and operational) of new hires and recently promoted employees. Receives training to further your knowledge, prepare yourself for advancement and maintain safety awareness training. Lead Operators-trains with Maintenance (outage – scheduled or unscheduled).
• Reviews and prepares chemical and safety procedures and conducts chemical safety audits. Prepares material and leads training sessions (i.e. safety meeting, procedure review and system training).
• Must be able to work scheduled hours, overtime, both scheduled and unscheduled, on days of relief and beyond regular work schedule and to perform shift work, including holidays, nights and weekends.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Follows all safety/environmental policies, procedures, rules and participates in training. Promotes the Company’s Zero Harm vision through actions and conduct.
• Follows all Company policies and expectations and behaving in a manner that promotes the Company’s values and positively effects morale.
• High school diploma with industrial background with two (2) years’ experience in a power plant environment preferred. Associates in Power Plant Tech Degree preferred.
• Specific knowledge, mechanical ability, working knowledge of equipment and plant systems and boiler water chemistry knowledge. Demonstrate knowledge of various plant systems.
• Communication skills, verbal and written. Ability to learn and train others. Must have mechanical and hand tool skills.
• Ability to pass respirator fit tests to use respiratory protective equipment at all times.
• Must have mechanical and hand tool skills.
• Must be able to speak, write and understand English.
• Ability to work scheduled hours, overtime, both scheduled and unscheduled, on days of
• relief and beyond regular work schedule. Ability to perform shift work, including holidays, nights and weekends.
• Be able to operate computer (e-mail, Excel, WORD, etc.).