Date Posted: 9/22/2022 1:22:55 PM
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Full Time
Salary (USD): $32 - $45
Position Descriptions: Field Service Engineer
Field Service Engineer must provide exceptional customer service, maintain a flexible work schedule, and use independent judgement and reasoning to support the highest level of quality and service delivery. The Engineer will be responsible for managing all aspects of the customer relationship to include quoting, job planning, manning and service delivery to completion.
Some responsibilities will include:
• Takes customer calls, discusses, and defines scope, prepares quotes, plans, and leads both 2-Stoke and 4-Stroke engine service activities. Directs and prioritizes team with rigging, cleaning, inspections, measurements, calibration, and mechanical assembly according to plan as the Lead Engineer.
• Execution of and direction of others in repair and OH of cylinder liners, cylinder heads, C/W pumps, L/O pumps, Fuel pumps, FI’s and calibration as required, cleaning C/A Coolers and heat exchangers.
• Training of others to quantify and record fine metric measurements of OD’s ID’s, thickness, depth, ovality and wear. Proper use of bore gauge, dial gauge, snap gauges, Vernier calipers, deflection gauges and other common measurement instruments.
• Completion of all paperwork to include, daily time sheets, expense reports, service reports, measurement sheets and maintain effective communications with customer representative, CE or Ships superintendent and respective Service Coordinator.
• Leads pre-job safety meetings, following all safety requirements and adherence to customers safety protocols. delivers toolbox safety talks as well as shift handover notes and observations.
• Identifies and plans all tooling requirements for upcoming work, instruct others in proper use of all tooling, equipment, and machines after properly certified.
• Direct and lead Pre-job mobilization, tool preparation, packing, verification of calibration certificates and then de-mobilization and recovery of assets, cleaning, inspection and storage of tools and equipment in accordance with required specifications.
• Trains others and validates the calibration and completeness of all tooling, measurements recorded, inspections made, reviews data for completeness, quantity, and quality sufficient for service report documentation for scope of work.
Compensation: $32 - $45/hour + OT at time and a half.
Because of the high travel associated with this job and the number of hours you can possibly work; it should be easy to make over $115k+.
Location: This position is based in Houston, but travel can be anywhere
Shift: Standard in-shop hours are 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, but you will rarely work only an 8-hour day. When you are at job sites offshore and at client sites you can expect 12+ hour days.
Travel: At least 75% or more travel is required for this role. Travel will be both on shore and offshore, as well as domestically and internationally.
The Field Service Engineer is the senior leader of the Field Service team. As such, the hiring manager is looking for a strong prior military candidate who has 5 years+ experience working on very large 2-4 stroke diesel engines and the ability to manage a team of field service technicians as well as customer relationships. You should also be able to plan a service attendance with minimal guidance and direction to include, travel arrangements, ID of required tooling, technical documentation, measurement forms and resource planning.
Wartsila, MAN, Mitsubishi, Sulzer, Bergen, Pielstick, and STX are just a few of the engine types named. You by no means have to be an expert on all or even one of them, but you do need to have at least some with the ability to learn fast and hit the ground running. Most of the information and skills will be learned on the job and company will also provide some in house training, so you will have to be able to retain knowledge quickly, efficiently, and safely.
Almost as important as your experience is your ability and willingness to travel. This position is an extremely high travel role, and you will have little to no heads up on a lot of the jobs you will be working so you will need to be able to leave on a short notice (possibly less than 24 hours) and be able to stay out for up to 2 weeks at a time (including weekends). The great thing about company is that they are very family oriented so if you have family emergencies or have been doing 2-week jobs back-to-back for a while, etc. then they will work with you to make sure your home life is taken care of.
Company offers a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Life and Disability Insurance as well as generous PTO. They also offer a yearly $150 boot allowance and $150 prescription safety glasses allowance.