Job DescriptionGo to end ⇓
Orion's client is a leader in nonwoven fabric production with an 80 year history of developing relationships, focusing on what is best for it's customers and serving them with integrity. The company competes in a several non-wovens sectors including bedding, furniture and thermal (cold-chain) packaging and services a broad range of national and regional manufacturers and suppliers. Raw material sourcing and raw material variety is a competitive advantage in their yarn and nonwoven product engineering. They are expanding organically and inorganically, with ISO certified production operations throughout the country.
Helping to fuel their growth are their Sustainable Packaging solutions. Addressing ever-increasing e-commerce package delivery demand, they offer environmentally friendly product insulation for pharmaceuticals, perishable foods and meal kits.
Position Description: Supply Chain Manager
The Supply Chain Manager leads the purchasing of raw materials, equipment and/or services to support the manufacturing and supply chain organization. This position will actively manage the supplier base, identify, and resolve resource constraints, and will take appropriate actions to achieve established schedule and customer commitments. This position reports to the VP of Operations, and will lead the effort in supporting and promoting the company's culture of performance improvement that facilitates effective problem solving, process and margin enhancement.
Location: Near Knoxville, TN – Largest production facility and main warehouse operation.
Compensation: $90K-$100K Base Salary, depends on experience, plus bonus and quarterly incentives.
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits program includes: Medical/Dental/Vision, MDLive subscription (no cost), 401(k) retirement plan (3% company contribution, 2% company match).
• Negotiates, processes, and monitors standard and blanket purchase orders to achieve negotiated savings requirements, minimize unfavorable purchase price variance (PPV), assure on-time delivery, and achieve effective inventory management.
• Communicates daily, weekly and forecasted requirements with suppliers. Obtains supplier delivery commitments and reconcile open order requirements. Expedites delinquent orders and notifies the appropriate department of any delays.
• Analyzes and reports metrics and trends on on-time delivery, supplier performance, quality, inventory, price variances (PPV) for products in his/her area of responsibility.
• Uses the Sales forecast, Production Planning Schedules, SIOPs to plan and execute purchase orders.
• Leader or participant in internal SIOP processes; demand planning and product forecasting
• Obtains and analyzes quotations, negotiates prices, and terms with suppliers, and recommends suppliers with respect to cost, quality and delivery competitiveness for raw materials, supplies, equipment, and services necessary for the operation of the organization. (Completes Quarterly Scorecard and rating system.)
• Maintains the Supplier data base, (historical volumes, pricing, lead-times, and terms, other).
• Prepares and presents monthly scorecard to executive team detailing metrics in his/her area of responsibility.
• Interfaces with other departments such as Production, Planning, Customer Care, Sales, Innovation, Finance to meet the customer requested dates identified by the product schedule.
• Proactively manages and monitors with Operations - finished goods and raw material inventory levels for assigned areas at or below given target.
• Leads continuous improvement and cost reduction projects for the assigned areas of responsibility including negotiating with suppliers to reduce overall purchase / inventory / shipping costs including but not limited to purchase price, delivery schedules, optimized transportation schedules, minimum / multiple order quantities, etc.
• Participates and works within ISO 9001-2015 quality standards guidelines in accordance with company’s quality goals
• Bachelor's degree (B.A., B.S.) from four-year college or university; or five to eight years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 5+ years of experience in an advanced Supply Chain Manager or sourcing role preferred. Experience with lean manufacturing and warehouse operations.
• Hands on experience in negotiating supplier agreements.
• Experience with project management either in a training setting or hands on preferred.
• APICS certification or in- process certification preferred. Memberships in professional organizations related to the supply chain management field a plus.
• Basic understanding of technical product specifications and market forces impacting commodities in his/her area of responsibility
• IT - Proficient establishing reports and data/spreadsheets to track and monitor supplier performance. Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, PPT. Knowledge of legacy systems (AS400).
• Negotiation skills - Has had formal negotiation training. Domestic based skills and experience.
• Supplier interaction, management, and evaluation: Has demonstrated mastery of some of the following: Value creation, engagement with high level contacts, frequent and effective supplier reviews, integration of people, process, and tools. Ability to execute on tactical aspects (transitions, supplier improvement, communication). Ability to communicate/negotiate with suppliers based on results of monitoring.
• Inventory Management - Understanding and practical knowledge of methods to manage DOH, Min/Max or NORMAX inventory levels. Advanced AS400 knowledge, system and process leader, and report trends month to month.
• Global Business Experience - Understanding and practical experience sourcing from global suppliers, currency exchange, logistics and trade regulatory compliance. Experience with domestic and international freight and logistics focused upon improvements. Experience with and understanding of international shipping and trade compliance procedures. Ability to make total delivered cost comparisons that include product and logistics costs.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations. Demonstrates attention to detail. Takes initiative to solve problems without waiting for direction.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Able to demonstrate support and adherence to company core values: respect for others, doing "whatever it takes" within company's core values, vision and strategic direction, exhibiting integrity, having a tolerance for risk, understanding there is life outside of work.
The Bottom Line:
The right person for the Supply Chain Manager role is a hands-on, engaging supply chain professional and leader. This is a high visibility and high impact role, where you will work closely with the VP of Operations in a very dynamic manufacturing environment. Demonstrate that you are the type of person who has initiative, works hard and finds solutions. They need a very hands-on problem solver and decision-maker, who effectively collaborates, builds trust, sets priorities and gets results, with a focus on continuous improvement. If you love logistics and Supply Chain and want to handle it all…this is a great opportunity to shine.
Getting started, you will go through an accelerated immersion with the Operations team to understand how the flow of materials happens, how they engage with suppliers and purchase, and getting the Non-wovens industry “linguistics” down (fiber grades, card waste, etc.). In your career, this position can lead to Plant or General Management, based on performance and your professional goals.
This company is proud of their history of innovation, care for their employees and customer-focus. They are looking for proven leaders who are ambitious, accountable and excited about an opportunity to help a growing industry leader and innovator get to the next level of performance. Debt-free, the company is being aggressive with capital investment, acquisitions and training. This is an exciting time to join their growing team!